Truffled Cauliflower Gratin - Creamy Cauliflower Side Dish with Truffles
Mashed Cauliflower Gratin Casserole Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook the cauliflower until fork-tender—either microwave, covered, with a small amount of water, or steam on the stovetop.
- Blend cauliflower with the cream, butter, salt, pepper, mustard, nutmeg, and instant potatoes if using. An emersion blender works well, but you can also use a regular blender or food processor. (If you use a regular blender, let the mixture cool somewhat before blending. Warm ingredients are fine, but a hot mixture has the tendency to "explode" when blended with a lid on.)
- Add eggs and blend. Mix or blend in 3/4 of the cheese.
- Pour into a casserole or gratin dish, and sprinkle with the remaining cup cheese.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until top is golden brown. The exact time will vary by the shape of the baking dish.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
You can add a few tablespoons of instant mashed potatoes—it's optional but they will help thicken the mixture by adding a little bit of starch. And although the name may not make them sound like they'd be natural and nutritious, instant mashed potatoes are actually dehydrated cooked potatoes, so they supply protein and fiber and are a good source of B vitamins and vitamin C.
The amount of butter and cream you will need varies slightly with the individual cauliflower, as the exact amount and moisture content varies. (You can use a large head of cauliflower—just add an egg and a little more of the other ingredients to achieve a creamy consistency.) Also, milk can be substituted for a less-rich casserole, with slightly more carbs.
Cooking and Serving Tips
This recipe is essentially a mashed cauliflower with the addition of eggs, cheese, and a little nutmeg, baked in a casserole or gratin dish. If you add an extra egg, it becomes more custard-like and puffs a bit more. This can be made ahead and baked before serving; if cold, it will take 15 to 20 extra minutes to cook.
Video: Homemade Cauliflower Gratin Recipe - Laura Vitale - Laura in the Kitchen Episode 984
How to Make Spats
Starving for Days, Walking 14 Miles Straight: The Drastic Things Molly Sims Did to Stay a Size 0
How to Change a Volkswagen Jetta 2007 Headlight Bulb
COVERGIRL Outlast Lipstain, Saucy Plum
How to Prevent Fuel Oil for an Oil Furnace from Freezing
Tesla is cutting price of Model X, Model S in China amid trade tension
Cook Once, Eat All Week: Brisket
Arthur Galan Talks Longevity In The Fashion Scene Life Off The Runway
Many Dialysis Patients Get Unnecessary Colonoscopies
Netflixs New Crime Show Gets Into the Minds of Serial Killers
Strawberry Green Tea Ice Cubes
The Single Best Reason To Eat Peanut Butter Today
How to Make Fairy Wings
How to Befriend Your In Laws